My photo
I'm just your typical divorcee, grad student, single mother of two who wants to A) gripe about shit B) make people read it C) magically lose weight and pin down prince charming while doing it. I'm hysterical and melodramatic -- and you know you like it!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Two steps forward, one step back

Is still one effing step forward! 

Dear audience, who randomly land on my page but leave no comments, I am sorry I have neglected you for the last few weeks for the sake of a single-mother in grad school ambivalence stress-fest.  This fall was like a repeat of the very first term I began undergrad, alone with 2 kiddies and pre-reqs that were 15 years old.  I felt scared, I raged at the man in my life, I lay on the floor crying in frustration instead of tackling homework.  I even ended up with the exact same transcript, grade for grade.  History in my life appears to repeat itself with alarming accuracy. 

And to you Lady in White, I am sorry for neglecting you for the last almost 3 years, and particularly sorry for so heavily abusing you for the last 3 months.  I ate my feelings every chance I got, including today.  I have ogled the fitblogs of twenty-somethings, envying the scope of their as yet unattained futures.  I would like to suck it out of them.  But instead, I shall wish them well, and attend a command repeat performance of my own weight-loss.  That's right -- in 2004 I lost 40 pounds of baby/ I hate my husband weight and managed to keep it off through fear and fitness until fall 2009.  That's when I let depression over my current relationship (also known as russian madness) and an obsessive need to prove myself through school override my well-being.  Instead, I worshipped the bread-cheese-chocolate holiest of holy trinities. 

What is it about 7.5 seconds of a taste explosion that approximates love and happiness so bemusingly? It's a true mystery, as apparently I am willing to withstand disfiguring self-hatred and stomach upset for hours and days afterwards.  And to go on to partake of another 7.5 seconds of mediocre mouth-love.  Emotional masturbation with food sucks! 

It doesn't help.  I feel weaker and more unworthy of love than ever!  

So here's what's going to happen:  I have a kind of break from school from now until January 4th (a total of 23 semi-vacation days).  In that time I will 1) sleep 2) write 3) seek transformative solitude 4) work-out my ass off (literally).  Seriously, daily weights (only for interest sake) and measures, and a weekly size 8 jeans sit-down test.  Though weight-gain is a symptom and not the disease and weight-loss is a benefit and not a cure, the next couple of weeks will involve symptomatic treatment only -- because it's what I can manage right now.  After that, I will find a cure. 

Do or do not -- there is no try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment