My photo
I'm just your typical divorcee, grad student, single mother of two who wants to A) gripe about shit B) make people read it C) magically lose weight and pin down prince charming while doing it. I'm hysterical and melodramatic -- and you know you like it!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Mantra

I had a breakthrough in the sauna tonight.  I had just rocked out cardio and a return to free weights before spending a glorious hour plus in the hot tub/sauna/steam room when enlightenment came to me -- I'm able to pray and/or meditate in hot water and steam.  Hot water therapy has always been my Mecca.  It's a place of solace and hope that I return to time and again, no matter the circumstances and no matter how long it's been since the last time I entered steaming water.  It feels best post-workout and it forces me to drink copious amounts of crystal cool water.  I always feel soothed and detoxified after.  I often feel emotional once my body reaches a certain temperature and I've been known to cry out whatever I feel tortured over -- strangers staring at me be damned!

I've always known meditating could benefit my much beleaguered mind, but I've never been able to do it.  My nervous system is generally too shot to be quieted by breathing and silence.  But in hot water, it shuts up long enough for me to hear myself think.  And tonight, spontaneously, I began chanting a homemade mantra while in the sauna:  I am RockStar beautiful, I am PunkRock passionate...I am RockStar beautiful, I am PunkRock passionate...

Over and over and over, and I wished for rosary beads.  It felt so good.  It felt genuine --  a self-help stereotype confiscated and made my own. It ain't fucking deep, but it works.  So fuck it, I'm going to rock it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment